School for International Training
Faculty Seminars Abroad 2017
UFIC International Faculty Development Grants
The University of Florida International Center (UFIC) is pleased to announce a special funding opportunity for up to three faculty members to participate in the Faculty Seminars Abroad organized by the School for International Training (SIT). Successful applicants will be awarded a UFIC grant to cover the full program fees for one of the 2017 SIT Faculty Seminars Abroad (SIT-FSA 2017). Grantees will be responsible for their airfare and other related costs.
SIT-FSA 2017 are short academic programs that allow faculty to explore a topic in depth in a particular geographical or cultural context through lectures, site visits, and connections to local academics, researchers, and other local experts.
How to Apply
The Applications Form should be submitted electronically to OGRE at: OGRE@ufic.ufl.edu, with subject line: “SIT-FSA 2017 application,” by no later than 12:00 noon on December 31, 2016. Selected participants will be informed by Wednesday, January 4, 2017 so that they may get their applications into SIT by the January 15 deadline.
Please direct any questions to Julie Fesenmaier: email@example.com
Three 2017 Faculty seminars abroad are available:
- Dates and duration: June 12–20, 2017 (8 days)
- Location: Quito and the Amazon Basin
- Topics of inquiry: The ecology of Amazonian and Andean ecosystems, current ecological challenges and the efforts under way to combat them, and key biological indicators.
- Who should participate? Faculty in ecology, environmental studies/sciences, earth sciences, biology, and other natural sciences are particularly encouraged to apply. Knowledge of Spanish is helpful but not required
Cost: $3,350 READ MORE
- Dates and duration: May 15–23, 2017 (8 days)
- Location: Johannesburg, Durban, and Cape Town
- Topics of inquiry: The role of media in democracy, nation-building, and social change. The program includes visits to apartheid and post-apartheid South Africa sites and print and radio news outlets such as the Times Media Group, as well as meetings with key figures in South African media and politics.
- Who should participate? Faculty in journalism, media studies, political science, African studies, international studies, or related fields are particularly encouraged to apply.
Cost: $3,800 READ MORE
- Dates and duration: May 19–27, 2017 (8 days)
- Location: Sidi Bou Said and Cap Bon
- Topics of inquiry: The dynamics between modernity and tradition, Islam and constitutional democracy, technology and youth culture, and social and political transition in Tunisia.
- Who should participate? Faculty in political science, Middle Eastern/North African studies, Arabic language, sociology, international studies, international relations, or related fields are particularly encouraged to apply.
Cost: $3,350 READ MORE
Please check SIT Faculty Seminars Abroad link (http://studyabroad.sit.edu/pn/campus-advisors-and-faculty/sit-faculty-seminars-abroad/) to learn more about these programs and associated costs. Note that the final application deadline to SIT-FSA 2017 is January 15, 2017