Laws & Legal Matters
You must be sure to abide by the law while you are in the United States. Failure to abide by the law may result in significant fines and may put your immigration status at risk.
Florida law considers bicycles moving on the street to be subject to the same lwas as cars moving on the street. You may be ticketed for disobeying any motor vehicule laws including:
- Stop at stop signs.
- Obey traffic signals.
- Signal for turns.
- Use front and rear lights at night.
- Ride in the correct direction on a one-way street
- DO NOT wear headphones.
- Always yield to pedestrians.
The city of Gainesville, the state of Florida and the United States have several laws regarding alcohol that you must be aware of if you plan to consume alcohol:
- It is illegal to have an open alcoholic beverage in a public space including a car.
- Bars and clubs close at 2am and you must leave the establishment upon closing.
- It is illegal to purchase, possess or consume alcohol if you are under the age of 21.
For your safety:
- Never leave your drink unattended. Be smart and aware of your surroundings.
- Do not drink excessively.
- Do not accept a drink from a stranger.
- Always go out in a group and with people you trust.
In the state of Florida, smoking is not allowed in any public buildings, including restaurants. It is also illegal to smoke within 50 feet of an entrance to a public building. UF campus is a tobacco free environment. You must go off-campus to smoke.