Off-Campus Employment - J-1 Students

Exchange visitor students who are in good academic standing may obtain authorization for work off-campus as part of an academic training experience or when unforeseen economic circumstances arise after the student becomes an exchange visitor. Employment as a result of unforeseen economic circumstances is limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session but can be full-time during vacation periods and breaks. See your international student advisor for advice.

Academic Training

Academic training is a type of employment directly related to a J-1 student's major area of study designed to apply knowledge and skills learned during the academic program.
J-1 students may pursue academic training opportunities during or after their studies. In general, you are limited to 18 months of academic training, unless one of the following applies:

  • Your program of study is less than 18 months, in which case your academic training period cannot be longer than your course of study
  • You are pursuing postdoctoral training, in which case, you may be eligible for up to 36 months of academic training
  • You have used periods of academic training earlier in your studies. Academic training must be recommended by your dean or major adviser and authorized by the responsible officer of your exchange visitor program. (See your responsible officer for criteria and procedures for academic training.)

For more information click here.

Unforeseen Economic Circumstances

A student may be authorized for off-campus employment when necessary because of serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status. Authorization must be approved by an international student advisor before employment begins and off-campus employment is available up to 20 hours per week.

Special Student Relief

Students in J-1 status whose means of financial support come from Indonesia, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, or the Philippines, and whose financial support has been disrupted, reduced, or eliminated due to economic crises in that country may be authorized for full- or part-time employment on- or off-campus. 

J-2 dependents

J-2 dependents are eligible for employment and are required to:

  • Apply and be approved for full-time or part-time work authorization through USCIS.
  • Not work for the purpose of supporting the J-1
  • Reapply, in a timely manner, for renewal of the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) each year
  • Cease working if the J-1 violates status, changes from J-1 to another non-immigrant class, or leaves the J program altogether

For more information click here.