If you plan to travel outside the U.S., you should consult with the ISS first. Always bring your passport and your I-20 or DS-2019 with you when making inquiries at the ISS office about traveling outside the U.S. Your visa must be valid beyond the date on which you plan to re-enter the U.S., and your passport must be valid for at least six months to re-enter the US.

If your visa has expired, and you plan to travel outside the U.S., or, if you have changed your visa status while in the U.S., you will need to obtain a new visa at an American Embassy or Consulate abroad or in your home country before you may re-enter the U.S. It is not possible to revalidate your visa while you are in the U.S. The exception is travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands for 30 days or less. For such trips you will need only your valid passport, your I-94, and your I-20 or DS-2019 endorsed by the UFIC designated school official or responsible officer. If going to Canada, you must contact the Canadian consulate in New York, NY, to determine whether you need a visa to enter to Canada.

Please give the ISS at least a week to review documents before any trip abroad. A minimum of 3 working days is required for the ISS to prepare your documents. During vacation periods, it is especially important to apply for travel documents very early, since most other students are planning to travel also. You should allow enough time to renew your visa in the American Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Never leave your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 form, or I-94 (or any immigration-related documents) in your luggage! Always carry these items on your person when departing the U.S., and upon re-entry. Immigration inspectors have been known to refuse entry into the country if you are not in possession of any one of these documents. Luggage can be lost, sometimes for days, sometimes forever, and you may be severely inconvenienced if you have to miss your plane because you are held up by immigration.

For more information, visit

International Travel Registration

All students traveling outside the US in conjunction with a UF degree program or on official university business must complete the online travel registration, whether for credit or not.

Students without GatorGradCare insurance will be enrolled in the TeamAssist Emergency Assistance Program thourgh this registration process. TeamAssist Emergency Assistance Program coordinates your medical care should you require treatment abroad as well as providing medical evacuation insurance. If you are leaving the country in conjunction with a UF program, it is required that you have this insurance in addition to standard health insurance.

Note: All students on UF sponsored study abroad programs, independent studies and exchange programs are automatically enrolled in health insurance which includes an emergency assistance program.

For more information about International Traveling, click here.